Watford hold on to defeat Sutton & Cheam in a League & Cup double….

Watford’s first team got back to winning ways last Thursday evening (4th June) with victory over Sutton & Cheam following recent defeats at home to Ealing & away to Beckenham it was good for the team to record another Premier Division win.

The game got off to a good start as Watford took a three nil lead with goals via Paul Skerm & a brace from Andy Holt. Sutton found the net shortly after but another goal this time from Jason Attwood restored Watford’s three goal lead.

Back came Sutton with a quick fire double to reduce the errors but with 30 seconds of the first quarter remaining a goal from Richard Hime gave his side a three goal lead.

Into the second period & Watford hit a purple patch and scored four unanswered goals for a 9-3 lead strikes via Attwood, Skerm, Danny Davis & another brace from Andy Holt doing the damage but with the half time approaching a lapse in defence allowed Sutton a way back into the game and a quick double had reduced the scoreline to 9-5.

Into the third period & Sutton continued their goal scoring exploits with another strike to reduce the deficit to three but Watford hit back moments later via Jared Baker following a major foul from the Sutton defence but back came Sutton & with another quick double they had reduced the deficit to within two goals at 10-8 but with 1.15 mins of the quarter remaining Watford re-established a four goal lead thanks to goals from Holt & Davis his strike came with 9 seconds left to play – third Qtr score – 12-8 to Watford.

Into the final period and with Watford holding a four goal lead you would think the final quarter would be a case of just holding Sutton off at arms length but the hosts had other ideas & within 60 seconds of the quarter starting they had scored twice to move the score onto 12-10 back came Watford & a goal from Attwood extended his team’s lead to three at 13-10 but again Sutton weren’t giving up a with a three goal blast inside 90 seconds they had pulled level for the first time on the night at 13-13. The game then moved into a period of attack & then counter attack from both sides & with Watford’s keeper Karan Basu making two critical saves on a man-down he kept his side in the game & with the team regaining some composure a goal from Jared Baker and another from his little brother Cameron with 50 seconds remaining gave the team a two goal advantage at 15-13, but with 43 seconds remaining another Sutton goal meant the last few seconds were very tense and a last ditch block from Paul Skerm stopped Sutton from finding an equalizer.

In the end a great win for Watford albeit we made very hard work of it in the last quarter but a win is a win & the team move on.

The result form this game also counted towards the first round of the London league Referee’s Cup & with victory secured over Sutton, Watford now move into the quarter finals & we will play either Reading or Ealing 2nds away for a place in the semi-finals.

Watford’s next London league Premier Div game will be on Monday 15th June with a trip to face league leaders Croydon.

Watford team v Sutton (goal scored in brackets)

Karan Basu (GK), Cami Baker (1), Jason Attwood (2), Danny Davis (2), Richard Hime (1), Nandi Cseh, Andy Holt (5), Jared Baker (2), Yakov sadovskii, Paul Skerm (2), Luke Rogers.

Watford Water Polo Club-logo-Feb 2013

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>