Watford 2nds beat Enfield in Winter League Two to stay in hunt for league title…

Enfield-Watford match report, 5th March 2018 – Match report written by Mike Eggleton..

Watford Seniors’ 2nd Team travelled all the way to QE School, Barnet, for a local derby game against Enfield. They were ably supported from the gallery by a well-mannered mob of eight travelling fans.


With a full squad of 13, Coach Steve Chambers split the outfield players into two groups. Goalie Aril was joined by Steve Brassington, Wayne Davies, Petar Djordjic, Will Eggleton, Andy Holt, Matt Irish in the starting line-up.

Watford quickly raced to a 3-0 lead, courtesy of a long range shot from Wayne, a solo counter goal from Andy, who also converted a penalty earned by Will from a Wayne pass forward. Enfield pulled it back to 3-1, before the outfield was replaced by Anthony Droungas, Dan Kattan, Matyas Molnar, William Morris, Jarryd Myburgh and Luke Sperry. A converted man-up allowed Enfield to close the gap to 3-2. But an Enfield coach, who really should have tried harder with his maths at school, conceded a penalty after fielding too many players. Luke converted to put Watford 4-2 ahead by the end of the quarter.

Back to the starting seven for the 2nd quarter. Petar, who was on great form in the pit, extended our lead to 5-2. Aril ensured Enfield couldn’t respond with a great penalty save. A nice pass in from Matt gave Petar a second goal from the pit – another backflick. Another counter by Andy allowed Matt to score. A speculative lob and a cracking long shot enabled Enfield to get the score line back to 7-4, before a 5m foul and shot from Will restored our lead to 8-4. Time for the next outfield change. A goal from Anthony was quickly followed by a response from Enfield. The quarter ended 9-5.

Aril Pandya - Super penalty save v Enfield

Aril Pandya – Super penalty save v Enfield

Re-enter the starting seven for quarter three. A shot from Matt at the top of the arc on man-up moved the score to 10-5. Andy then fed Petar for a push-shot for his third goal. 11-5. A well-worked man-up allowed Petar to score into an empty net for his fourth. Everybody out! Enfield missed their second penalty of the match, but followed with a cheeky lob to make it 12-6. Matyas responded with a long shot to restore Watford’s lead at 13-6.

The final quarter started with Watford and Enfield trading goals. Andy lobbed their goalie; they scored with a long shot. Wayne slotted the ball in beautifully between the goalie and post; they scored with a lob. Time to change our outfield at 15-8. Luke brought it to 16-8 with a goal from a man-up. We then conceded a goal on man-down. The game then descended into chaos, with Enfield players committing major fouls a plenty, and conceding a penalty, which William converted to close the game with a well-deserved and entertaining 17-9 win for Watford.

The team moved into third with that win, five points off leaders Guildford and with games in hand and we play Guildford at home this Sunday evening (11th March) we should close the gap at the top of the table.

Winter League Div Two table


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>