Saxons win but leave it late to get the job done..

Our Men’s BWPL Saxon’s team won their opening game in this season’s BWPL Div Five with a nervy 9-8 win over Essex side Chelmsford with the winning goal scored by Alex Norcliffe coming with only 30 seconds remaining.




Edi hands out final instructions at the start of the match...

The opening quarter began with Norcliffe winning the swim-off and moving into attack the team forced an early man-up but the chance wasn’t taken and with Chelmsford now in possession they came forward and scored the first goal of this season’s BWPL (0-1). Further chances then went begging as a combination of post and bar and poor finishing kept the Saxons out and Chelmsford then extended their lead at 0-2. More chances then went amiss for the Saxons until Matt Irish found some space & scored from the wing for 1-2. A major foul then allowed Chelmsford to restore that two-goal lead at 1-3 but with time nearly up the ball was feed out to George Sadler on the left wing he moved inside on goal & sent a spinning lob shot over the Essex keeper & into the far corner for 2-3 with only one second on the clock the timing was spot on.

The second quarter opened again with more missed chances for both sides, Saxon’s also missed from a Man-up but having played 90 seconds a goal from Richard Hime levelled the game at 3-3. 52 seconds later & Saxons had the lead via a tap in for Luke Rogers after the ball had again come off the bar. With 1.41 until half time a major foul handed Chelmsford a man-up and moving the ball around the arc they found the space to score and the level the game again at 4-4. More chances for both sides weren’t taken and the break came with the sides locked together at 4-4.

Half Time team talk...

The start of the second half opened with Chelmsford taking the lead after only 25 seconds play but a man-up for Saxons 10 seconds later allowed Matt Irish to score his second of the game & pull his side level again at 5-5. Another man-up 49 seconds later allowed Saxons again to go in front with a goal from Matt Smith 6-5 and further chances came and went as the bar & post kept getting in the way. With 4.21 to go Chelmsford levelled again at 6-6 more chances were then missed and with 11 seconds to go Chelmsford were awarded a penalty the bar came to the Saxons result and the quarter closed all square at 6-6.

The final quarter opened with Josh Silverbeck winning the swim off and going on the attack eventually the ball was fed to Richard Hime and from the centre forward position he managed to hit the bar (again!!) but from the rebound he caught the ball and returned it in to an empty net for 7-6. The next attack and we were two clear at 8-6 with another goal from Matt Irish for his third of the game but Chelmsford weren’t going to lay down without a fight and in the space of 2 minutes they were level again at 8-8.

The game moving into the final minute a Chelmsford attack was broken up and moving the ball out to Alex Norcliffe on the right wing he moved in on goal took his time and found the back of the net for 9-8. With 4 seconds of the game remaining Chelmsford had a chance to level but this was snuffed out & the Saxons got their first all important win of the season.

Our next game is on Sunday morning against Bedford who lost to Sheffield Dolphins 17-10.

Today’s team Vs Chelmsford:

Chris Jones (GK), Alun Dorrington, Alex Norcliffe, Adam Nash, Craig Nicholls, George Sadler, Josh Silverbeck, Luke Rogers, Luke Sperry, Matt Irish, Matt Smith, Richard Hime, Steve Brassington.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>